Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Literary Crushes

The past top 10's I have been vaguely optimistic about finding 10 of whatever the day's category is but this week, I can't even pretend I'm going to come close.  But I love lists and this seems like a ridiculous topic that I couldn't pass up, so here we go!  I also just realized the topic just says fictional instead of literary but I'm going with book ones anyway.  Or at least characters that were originally literary. The Broke and the Bookish's Top 10 question: top 10 Fictional Crushes:
  1. Sirius Black from the Harry Potter series. Part of this probably stems from the "I wish I could make magic" desire, even though I'd waste it on things like getting me food from the kitchen without having to get up.  I also have a bit of a crush on Gary Oldman (loved him in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead) so the movies helped with that.  He's impulsive and reckless but fairly well-adjusted considering crazy family growing up and then he was in torture prison for 13 years.  I think I've already set an odd tone for this list...
  2. Sodapop Curtis from The OutsidersThis is an old crush, since I read the book when I was in 7th grade and I mostly picture a 1983-era Rob Lowe in this role.  I know he is hardly in the book but HIS NAME IS SODAPOP.  Really, that's all it takes. 
  3. Thursday Next from the Thursday Next series.  I have a bit of a girl crush on Thursday.  This is one of my favorite book series and she is such a strong and quick-witted character.  What's not to love?
  4. Detective Inspector Jack Spratt from the Nursery Crime series. Thursday Next but a nursery rhyme character and male.  Absurd, satirical Sam Spade.

I really wanted to make it to 5 but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Maybe next week I'll complete the assignment.