Tuesday, November 23, 2021

2020 Mini Reviews - January 2020

I am getting to some 2020 mini reviews and it's still 2021! I'm within a calendar year in these reviews. Are you impressed? I am. I mean, that's not going to last very long but it's something for now.

Mrs. McGinty's Dead by Agatha Christie 
Read January 2020
It's a Poirot mystery. That's basically all I remember. As a matter of fact, I was just looking it up and realized originally I had the title wrong. I had it written as Mrs. McGinty's Murder. So I didn't remember enough to get the title right. I was trying to read some summaries and none of these sound familiar either. I'm not going to worry too much and just say it's a Poirot mystery so it was probably pretty fun and you knew what you were getting and it not being super memorable isn't a huge fault. 

White Kids: Growing Up with Privilege in a Racially Divided America by Margaret A. Hagerman
Read January 2020
Here's another one I don't really remember. I remember the cover and that it was a book I found when I was browsing through the library app available books. It's basically a book of how white children learn about race in a country where white people really don't talk about race much but race is obviously a big and important topic. And how when race isn't talked about explicitly there are lots of implicit lessons being learned and maybe we should pay more attention and take more control of that? 

The Body: A Guide for Occupants by Bill Bryson
Read January 2020
You know I love a Bryson book. And hey, here's a book I actually remember. It's Bryson writing about the body. It's funny, you learn something, and who doesn't want to learn more about this meat sack we're carrying around? Or that's carrying us around? Anyway, I loved it, I loved Bryson's enthusiasm for what the body does and how we learned what we learned and that enthusiasm is infectious. I kinda want to read it again even though I think I've already read it twice in less than 2 years. And he reads this one so that's fun too.

Tanica Jones by Matt Boren
Read January 2020
This one I have some vague memories of. It was an Audible Original, one of those free items they used to give away every month. A story about a woman (Tanica Jones) who finds her identity is stolen by some other lady. This isn't in a thriller-y way. Tanica is working to launch a lifestyle brand and is VERY proud of her name when she finds out some other lady is making herself famous off of this name. This will not stand. The book/short story was performed by Retta (from Parks & Rec) and consider her character from there if you want an idea of the tone of this story. Funny and short.