Wednesday, February 10, 2021

More Teeny Reviews (May & June 2019)

Those mini-reviews went pretty well yesterday, right? I thought so. And hey, here I am again typing out some more.

One reason I'm more apt to write these seems silly but. I got a new computer. And it makes a difference in the sense that my last computer was getting on in age and it got slooooooooow. I know that is my fault and Tom has pointed out his desktop was even older and it's working fine and he's not wrong. But that didn't make using my old computer less frustrating. This new computer is snazzy and light and it's rose gold, which I have recently learned is a lame millennial color but I think you're just jealous of my pink computer.

Anyway, I digress. Let's see what I remember of books I read almost 2 years ago.

Fed Up: Emotional Labor, Women & the Way Forward by Gemma Hartley
Read May 2019
That sounds good, right? Something I would be way into and would have lots of good insights. And I bet it did. Except I do not remember it at all. I believe she had an article about Emotional Labor which was probably where I first heard the term and I bet this was good and possible I even talk about points from it without remembering where I heard them. But I don't remember this.

Shakespeare: The World as Stage by Bill Bryson
Read May 2019
It's Shakespeare by way of Bill Bryson. What's not to love?? Assuming, you love those two things already. If you don't already love them, well then I have no idea. It's great and also not that long cos we don't really know that much about Shakespeare and Bryson isn't about to do a ton of conjecture. Get that from Stephen Greenblatt. (Maybe I should reread Will in the World...)

Stay Sexy and Don't Get Murdered by Georgia Hardstark and Karen Kilgariff
Read June 2019
Are you a fan of My Favorite Murder? If so, then you already know about this book and don't need me to talk about it. If you haven't listened to MFM, give that a listen and decide if you want to read this. Already listened and decided you don't like it. Why are you thinking you'd read this? What do you think you're going to get out of it? 

The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware
Read June 2019
More British murder mysteries. Those are fun just don't take them too seriously. Also I don't know that Ware knows exactly what time period she set this book in because while I only remember bits and pieces I remember for a while thinking this book was from the early half of the 1900s only for there to be a flashback to like 1993 and no ma'am, I'm sorry. Ignore that and it's entertaining.

Things That Make White People Uncomfortable by Michael Bennett
Read June 2019
I was thinking about this book recently because I just finished Mediocre by Ijeoma Oluo and her sports section talks about him a fair amount and I was reminded that I enjoyed his book. I mean, there's a lot of football in it, him being a football player and all and I only know so much about the sport (and only care so much about it to...sorry) but since the sport isn't the focus but instead systemic racism, it was a good read.

You Do You: Proud to be Fabulous ed by Tan France & Nikki Levy
Read June 2019
I remember this was a free Audible original (which I think...Audible stopped doing?) and I believe it was some short stories/essays but that's all I've got. I don't remember anything about it other than it was short.

Alright 6 more reviews done and I even almost remembered things about them. Good job, me.