Monday, November 4, 2013

October Reading Wrap-Up

October has come and gone and, at least around here, it's actually starting to feel like fall. It also seems that all of the trees decided to change colors overnight, because I swear one minute everything was green and then the next it's all yellows and reds. I'm going to assume by tomorrow the leaves will be completely bare and it will also be snowing.

My reading this month was a bit all over the place. First there was The Corrections readalong, which was much fun and full of snark and gifs. The cos it's October there was the demand for Halloween style books. Except I realized I didn't have too many I hadn't re-read recently so...I just re-read some more. I also got all thrown off at some point and forgot to review a book, so the Alif the Unseen review will becoming eventually. Also there was a readathon where you'd think I would have gotten some extra reading done, but you would be wrong in that assumption.

Now, the stats!

Number of books read
6
Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
World War Z by Max Brooks
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
In The Tall Grass by Joe Hill and Stephen King

The WWZ link is from this summer. Because this was my fourth time reading the book. And second time listening. It's pretty great, but that doesn't mean I'll write a new review each time I read it. Of course I will still count it towards my monthly totals. Cos it's my blog, I'll do what I want. I also read random stories from King's Everything's Eventual but I won't include them here cos I don't know how many pages that was.

Number of pages read
2,021

Percentage of fiction read
83%

Percentage of female authors
33%

Percentage of white authors
100% Whomp.

Percentage of US authors
83%

Percentage of ebooks
17%

Books written by decade
2000s - 50%
2010s - 50%

I'm failing at reading non-white people and reading books older than me. I thought I'd have a non-white person with Alif but Wilson is actually a white lady from NJ who converted to Islam. I did read Breakfast at Tiffany's but I didn't count it because I haven't read the other 2 stories in the collection yet.