Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Top Ten Literary Couples and Fellow Bloggers

The good people over at The Broke and the Bookish have a weekly top ten meme and this week's topic is Top Ten Favorite Fictional Couples.
  1. Beatrice and Benedick from Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare.  I love these two.  They're quick witted, they're sarcastic, and they are far more interesting than Hero and Claudio. 
  2. Mr. Darcy and Lizzie Bennet from Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by  Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. I would have said these to from P&P but since I haven't actually read that one yet (I know I know, I'll get to it!  Promises) I went with the version I have read.  And besides, the relationship has the same dynamic, there are just more ninja/zombie fight scenes. 
  3. Hermoine and Ron from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. Hmm, another couple I love that bickers all the time.  I'm seeing a theme emerging.  I wonder what Boyfriend's take on this is.  Anyway, I love not only do these two already have the old-married-couple-constantly-bickering down pat, but they are both so different they make such great sense together.  
  4. Thursday Next and Landen Park-Laine from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde. See here's a couple that actually likes one another. Alright, maybe it wasn't so simple in the first book but the conflicting emotions come from a deeper place than the cliche of they-hate-each-other-but-really-love-one-another.  Don't get me wrong, I love that cliche (see examples above) but it is nice to see a change.
  5. Bottom and Titania from A Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare. I know they're not really a couple or not a happy-ever-after couple but I love these two.  And really their love is no more or less real than what the fairies leave Helena and Demetrius with.  While we're at it
  6. Helena and Demetrius from A Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare.  OK so as I just said above, these two are only together because some fairies squeezed "the aphroditic juice of a hermaphroditic flower" into Demetrius' eye (thank you Complete Works Abridged) but I get a kick out of Helena's awful character and really the scene of Helena chasing him around the forest is great.
  7. Biff and Joshua (Jesus) from Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. Not a romantic couple sure but a couple nonetheless.  Biblical bromance?  (My blog is going to get burned at the stake now, isn't it?)
I'm having trouble coming up with more and don't want to force this so I'll stop there.  There are a lot of couples on that list that have fairly contentious relationships.  I wonder what that says about me...

I have been totally slacking on my fellow bloggers post and I want to fix that.  I've found so many fantastic blogs so here's one more you should check out cos she rocks:

Literary Musings - I've been following Brenna over at Literary Musings for awhile now and I don't know why it's taken me so long to bring her up here.  Her blog is a nice mix of a meme here and there, lit related posts and comics and reviews of all styles.  My recent favorite post of hers is "That bookstores are such places is always hoped for..." which mentions the Strand in NYC and it's literary counterpart.