Thursday, March 26, 2020

April Mini-Reviews

Lookit this! Another post in March. I mean, it's close to the end of March, but still! Another post! Which means I'm making my (very low stakes) goal. Phew. It was touch and go for a while. Honestly, even while I'm writing this, it's still touch and go cos who knows if I'll actually finish it.

As I was writing the last couple mini-review posts, I realized last year my reading was very...eh. Which is very likely why my first read in April was The Graveyard Book, which I won't go into here because I've already written about it. I will just say the more often I read it, the more I love it and I think I need to relisten to it again, even if it gives me ALL THE EMOTIONS. But hey, let's instead talk about books that I haven't already written about here.

Act Natural: A Cultural History of Misadventures in Parenting by Jennifer Traig
I only remember bits and pieces of this book. There's a LOT in the beginning about kids...not making it. Which is rough to get through, although it to be fair to it, it doesn't linger. I remember enjoying it; there's lots of interesting bits about the history of child rearing. BUT it didn't totally stick with me. To the point where I saw this book included on a list of parenting books and thought "That looks interesting, I should check it out!" only to see that I had already marked it as Read in Goodreads. Make of that what you will. But I think I may give it another read and see if it sticks with me more.
Gif rating:


Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz
A bookclub selection! An English murder mystery. Actually, it's two murder mysteries in one, since there's a story within the story that's also a murder mystery. It's hard to talk too much about it because, you know, mystery. Don't want to wander into spoilers territory. I liked the idea of it and I liked the story within the story best but the flow of the book was not my favorite. But it did make me want to read more murder mysteries.
Gif rating:

Strange Weather by Joe Hill
Short story collections can be very hit or miss. I tend to stay away from them, because I often find they contain more misses. Stephen King tends to be an exception and I figured why not give his son a chance. Good news, he did not disappoint. I mean, it helps that I already like Hill's stuff, so I felt confident giving this a try. The stories were really good. There's a story about a guy who can erase memories with a polaroid. A story about a guy who finds himself carried away on a cloud. Or cloud like thing. A story about a sudden deluge, not of rain but of nails and the horror that it brings. And finally a story about a good-guy with a gun...maybe. They were all very good, had moments that were truly tense and scary and had moments that were heartbreaking.
Gif rating:


The Dispatcher by John Scalzi
A sci-fi short story about a world where you can't murder anyone anymore. Most of the time if you try, that person comes back to life. Oh sure, people can still die, but not from murder. So there arises a group called Dispatchers, whose job it is to "kill" someone, someone who is on death's door, so they maybe have another chance at life. But there's a shady underground world to this (of course) and what happens when a fellow dispatcher is murdered? It was an Audible Original, so a quick story. I don't totally remember the resolution but the premise seemed interesting. I gave it a decent rating so I suppose I enjoyed it.
Gif rating:

Can I get another post in before the month ends??? Probably not but you never know!