Monday, February 4, 2019

2018 Reading Stats

This is a bit of a cop-out post, but whatever, it's my blog and I'm making the effort to post more. Even if this is a post that's not heavy on substance and also late to the game. Anyway, I'm thinking I should do a 2018 year in books review, even though we're almost now in February and this is really the type of thing that should be done in early Jan or even before the new year. But given the way my blogging has gone as of late, I think we can all agree it's impressive I'm getting this written before June.
I was going to do an infographic, cos pretty BUT since I'd need to use a different computer to do some of it and that computer is over there ::gestures to computer not 4 feet from where I'm sitting:: and I'm over here, that is just way too much work. Perhaps I'll finally get an infographic out comparing my reading in 2018 to previous years.

But for now, let's look at some 2018 book stats to get us started!

My reading volume wasn't terrible, considering all I had going on (i.e., making a person) but stats were down because my reading definitely got lazy as I did a lot of simple re-reading, and mostly what I had digital copies of so I could read it on my phone (which is not a way I had ever read things before but became a necessity in the later half of the year). Of course, that isn't really an excuse and is a bit upsetting to think that if I don't make any effort I backslide into white, US-born, recently published pieces.

My resolution percentage isn't as bad as I would have thought given some of the other stats, but I've found that's largely due to UK authors (mostly white UK authors).

Number of books read
48

Number of pages read
13,525

Fiction
52%

POC authors
16%
Female authors
60%

US authors
83%

Rereads
42%
Review books
15%

Book format
audiobook: 23%
ebook: 48%
hardback: 4%
paperback: 25%

Where'd I get the book?
Borrow: 2%
Chain bookstore: 4%
Gift: 13%
Indie bookstore: 15%
Kindle/Audible: 52%
Netgalley: 15%

Books by decade:
1930s: 2%
1960s: 2%
1990s: 10%
2000s: 13%
2010s: 73%

Books by genre:
Biography: 2%
Essays: 2%
Graphic Novel: 4%
History: 7%
Horror: 7%
Humor: 4%
Lit Fic: 13%
Memoir: 13%
Mystery: 4%
Play: 2%
Rom Com: 9%
Satire: 2%
Science: 4%
Self-Help: 4%
Sociology: 2%
Thriller: 2%
Travel: 7%
YA: 4%
YA Fantasy: 7%

Resolution books:
44%
13 books were by an author from somewhere other than the US
8 books were published before 2000
7 books were by POC authors

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (non-US author, published before 2000)
Where the Line Bleeds by Jesmyn Ward (POC author)
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (non-US author, published before 2000)
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (POC author)
Number One Chinese Restaurant by Lillian Li (POC author)
The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui (POC author, non-US author)
The A to Z of You and Me by James Hannah (non-US author)
Meaty by Samantha Irby (POC author)
Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores by Jen Campbell (non-US author)
Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan (POC author, non-US author)
Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (POC author, non-US author)
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (non-US author)
Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson (published before 2000)
Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson (published before 2000)
I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson (published before 2000)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling (non-US author, published before 2000)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling (non-US author, published before 2000)
The Tales of Beetle the Bard by JK Rowling (non-US author, published before 2000)
Where Should We Begin? The Arc of Love by Esther Perel (non-US author)
Becoming by Michelle Obama (POC author)
Stephen Fry's Victorian Secrets by Stephen Fry, John Woolf, Nick Baker (non-US author)