Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Good for her! Not for me.

Funny lady comic memoirs I AM HERE FOR YOU*. I was originally waiting to listen to Yes, Please on audio because I had heard many good things about that format but then the ebook was on sale and I heart sales.

This is familiar but no-less-entertaining territory where Poehler talks about growing up, getting her start in comedy, what it's like to be a woman in a male-dominated industry, stories from working at successful TV shows, stories about personal life. You know the drill. So there's nothing new there, but I assume if that's a problem you probably wouldn't be reading this in the first place.

Poehler starts the book by talking about how she really shouldn't have written the book and how it wasn't fun and it wasn't enjoyable and she really should have said no and spent the time (trying) to sleep instead so well down, dropping those expectations.

Not a huge amount of this book stands out to me. I remember enjoying it, but not laughing as much as I thought I would. She has some good advice for women, such as how women should quit fighting with each other if they choose different paths ("Remember my motto, 'Good for you, not for me.'") and also that boundaries are important ("I have come to enjoy telling the cheese guy at the farmers' market that he does not value my time.")  She has some funny stories that did actually make me laugh. Like when she was freaking out because she was very pregnant, like due the next day pregnant and just found out her OB-GYN had died and she started bawling. Uncomfortable and loud and probably pretty snotty. They were rehearsing a Mad Men sketch for SNL and Jon Hamm was there and he made everything better (as he does) by saying just the right thing:
Jon Hamm held me by the shoulders and looked at me and said, "I know this is very sad, but this is a really important show for me, so I'm going to need you to get your shit together."
So I guess that's more of a story about how Jon Hamm is a TREASURE. But she told the story, so that was swell.

I would still like Poehler to be my best friend (or Leslie Knope. I might want Leslie as a best friend. Except...that sounds exhausting. Maybe I need to rethink this) along with Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling and this works right?

So yeah. Not my fav funny-lady-memoir but still entertaining and I have heard very good things about the audiobook so maybe go that way.

Gif rating:
*Bossypants by Tina Fey, The Bedwetter by Sarah Silverman, Self-Inflicted Wounds by Aisha Tyler, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling, I Don't Care About Your Band by Julie Klausner

Title quote from location 470

Poehler, Amy. Yes, Please. Dey Street Books, 2014. Kindle