Tuesday, September 1, 2015

August Reading Wrap-Up

Oh man, August is over. Summer is over. I heart fall but I'm still sort of not ready for summer to be over. I feel like it went by so quickly. Probably because I feel like we sort of skipped over spring and also the summer was full of annoying house selling stuff, which got in the way of not-annoying vacation stuff (except for getting to visit Alice out in Chicago, which was the main vacation we took and worth it).

Speaking of house stuff, we're still unpacking things. I thought we were pretty much done till all of a sudden I realized there were a bunch of books I couldn't find.
Stiff. How To Be A Woman. Where'd You Go, Bernadette? Where did you go indeed? TURNS OUT they were in various boxes still in my mom's basement. I guess I should have been tipped off that something was amiss when we unloaded the books and they fit on the shelves. Things were double stacked at the old house AND we threw out 2 bookshelves (or like 1 1/2, if you consider it was one normal sized one and one little one). There are some built-ins at the new place, but not that many. So now I have a few more boxes of some of my FAVORITE books and no idea where to put them. But that is a problem for future me. Current me is just going to worry about my August stats, and I dunno what was going on but I did a lot of reading this month. Some good (Graveyard Book, I love you), some not so good (Intern's Handbook...) So let's take a look

Number of books read
7
Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen
Bird Box by Josh Malerman
The Intern's Handbook by Shane Kuhn
Modern Love by Aziz Ansari and Eric Klinenberg
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Number of pages read
2,213
Percentage of fiction
71%

Percentage of female authors
14% - which is the lowest share all year

Percentage of white authors
86% - still not great but also still not 100% so...small victories

Percentage of US authors
71%

Book formats
ebook - 43%
paperback - 57%
I actually also finished up WWZ audiobook again. But I've quit counting that one towards the stats. I should probably give another audiobook a try

Percentage of rereads
14% - gotta do my in-prep-for-the-movie rereads

Percentage of review books
0% but I sure did get some...intriguing requests this month

Books by decade
1990s - 14%
2000s - 14%
2010s - 71%

Books by genre
Fantasy - 14%
Horror - 14%
Humor - 14%
Literary Fiction - 14%
Sociology - 14%
Thriller - 14%
Travelogue - 14%
Well, I guess I can't say I'm stuck reading the same genres over and over

Resolution books
57% - whaaaaaaa??
Alright, let's see what counts
Modern Love - not white!
The Graveyard Book - not US!
The Rosie Effect - also not US!
A Walk in the Woods - written before 2000! I mean, barely before but STILL COUNTS!

July and August were my most successful months, at least in regards to amount read. I'm pretty sure I can't sustain this level of reading BUT WE SHALL SEE!