Friday, January 25, 2013

Harry Potter must not go back to Hogwarts

It's Friday again so it's time for another Harry Potter readalong post! HUZZAH. As with all of these posts, there will be spoilers so reader beware.

So this week we finished up the first half of Chamber of Secrets which, full disclosure, is probably my least favorite of the series. It's certainly the one I forget about the most AND the one that didn't interest me enough to keep reading the series. I'm glad my friend convinced me to read the third book because I would have been happy stopping the series after this one.

I was very plot-hole-pokey with my Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone posts, so I'm going to try and not do that so much this time.
Photobucket
Even though, I would like to stress, that the plot holes did not diminish my love for the series. I really only noticed them because I love the series and therefore have spent waaaay too much time thinking these things over. It's probably not healthy.

This does not mean I'm going to be able to put together a coherent post. This is still going to be a bunch of random thoughts. But they'll just be more positive.

Any book in a series that isn't the first is going to have a bit of "Last time on..." and Chamber of Secrets is no exception. I hate these parts. I mean, I get they're necessary and I don't think it's bad that we get a little recap of what happened before, but I just finished SS and don't need a recap on the rules of Quidditch. Therefore, there was a bit of skimming through the first half.

Gilderoy Lockhart is such a wonderful character. I mean no one I'd actually like to deal with but man is it fun to watch him turn every conversation over to himself. Even though I read the book before I saw the movie, I still can't help but picture Kenneth Branagh in the role. Way to be an egotistical oblivious ass. And I mean that with love.
Photobucket
Cos come on, Harry's detention with Lockhart answering fan mail? Genius. Also nice to see that Hogwarts figured out that sending children into the Forbidden Forest is a bad idea. Especially when you consider flying a car to Hogwarts is a WAY worse offense than being out after dark.

I'm a little confused about Ron's wand breaking. Not how it broke or why it's malfunctioning, but how do you get a new one? I mean, he needs to get a new one, right? But getting a wand seems like such a big deal and "the wand chooses you" and all that jazz. So isn't it a big deal when you get a wand? And doesn't that mean you can't just replace it with any other wand?

Given Filch's reaction to seeing Harry read his Kwikspell letter, I get the feeling that being a non-magical person in the magical world is almost worse than Harry being a wizard while living with the Dursleys. Alright, no the Dursleys are worse, but still pretty awful. And very condescending.

On top of the squib thing, I feel so bad for Filch. His poor cat, Mrs. Norris. Side question, why Mrs. Norris? Did Filch have a kitty wedding at some point? Where's Mr. Norris? Is Mrs. Norris a widow? And now I feel bad for Filch for another reason. Poor guy.
UPDATE: From Alice, Mrs. Norris is named after a character in Mansfield Park. Though I have an easier time believing she's a widow cat than I do Filch is an Austen fan.

Can't wait for part two. And more than that, I can't wait until we're finished with this book and can move onto the next. Cos out of all of them, this is my least favorite HP. Whomp.

I'm not sure how to end this post so, Alley out!*
Photobucket
*Please be prepared to see this gif again. There is a good chance I am going to use this as the ending to all of these HP posts. Because I love Adam Scott so.

Title quote from page 19

Rowling, JK. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Scholastic, 1999.