Thursday, January 5, 2023

New Year, New Spreadsheet?

One of the nerdier things about me is how often I use spreadsheets to track things. 

My books going back to 2013? Obviously

Sales in the housing market in my area, including time on market and about +/- asking price? You bet

Nap and feeding info for the goblin, including how long it would take to get him to go to sleep and what we were doing before he went to sleep in the hopes of figuring out the magic answer to getting him on a sleep schedule that worked? Yes (Did it work? Nope!)

So naturally, when I saw someone post about a bookish bullet journal in excel, I thought hell yeah, of course I'll do this. I mean, at least until I forget about it for a long enough period of time that I can't backfill the data. But for now, let's live in the present and just a few days into the year, I am on top of things. 

What is a bookish bullet journal you may be asking? From the 3 second video I saw (which I can't find anymore), it basically looks like this, though of course there isn't much filled in yet

With the idea, as best as I can figure, to mark down what days I'm reading each book. Each month will have its own color and by the end of the year I'll have a pretty chart that shows me when I was reading. I don't know how much it will tell me about me reading, except perhaps how much of a lag there is when I'm reading a physical copy of a book vs listening, but we'll see. 

The one piece I am pretty proud of is the counting the total number of days spent reading. Because the options are write in numbers in the colors but that would really ruin the vibe. Or else just manually count the squares but I don't want to do that. So after spending way too long considering the problem, I realized I could just write the number 1 in the same color as the background and have the row sum. I don't have to manually count anything but also I keep things aesthetically pleasing. And I get to pat myself on the back.

So there we go. I have something new to add to the month end stats posts, which make up, what 99.99% of the stuff I still post here.