Monday, February 2, 2015

January Reading Wrap-up

I don't know about you, but my January was nuts. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be saying that about every month. Work was crazy busy and I'm hoping things will start slowing down maybe around...May. Yeah, probably. But good news is I got a promotion, so the work is paying off!

We're also still house selling/house buying. No movement on part one, which means no movement on part two. Someone just brave the snow and buy my house, dammit.

Oh also, in case anyone was wondering how I fared in Blizzard Juno, I'm fine. It was (not all that surprisingly) way less of an issue than anticipated. Maybe we got like a foot of snow. It's hard to say since it was so windy. There were about 3 foot drifts in some places, and of course the plows made some giant piles, so it looks more impressive than it is.

Look at this! I actually finished some books this month! Not like December (damn you, George R. R.) I'm also working towards my reading resolution, reading at least 1 of the following each month: something written by a non-white person, something written by a non-US person, something written before the 2000s

Now, TO THE STATS

Number of books read
3
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
Beirut Blues by Hanan al-Shaykh

Number of pages read
1,887

Percentage of fiction read
67%

Percentage of female authors
67%

Percentage of white authors
100%

Percentage of US authors
67%

Book formats (new category, to account for audiobooks)
ebooks - 33%
paperback books - 67%

Percentage of rereads
0%

Percentage of review books
0%

Books written by decade
1990s - 33%
2000s - 67%

Books by genre
Fantasy - 33%
Science/health - 33%
Literary Fiction - 33%

Resolution books
33%
Beirut Blues was originally written in Arabic, by a Lebanese author, and published in 1992. To figure out author race, I went with the US census definition, which counts Lebanese as white. But otherwise this book fulfills 2 out of the 3 criteria I'm looking for in my resolution books so WIN.