Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Top Holiday Books...and Movies

The good people over at The Broke and the Bookish have asked us to name our top 10 holiday books.  Here's the thing, I don't really have holiday books and certainly not 10 of them.  I hardly ever make it to 10 on these lists anyway but I won't come close to naming 10 books.  But I still wanted to play so I'll include movies as well.  I still don't think I'll make it to 10, but I'll get closer.

First, the books 

1. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  I got this book when I was little and I love it because it's so funny.  Yeah it has the schmaltzy story but if that's all I want there are thousands of versions of the story.  I like Dickens voice and tone and humor. 
 2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss.  I love Seuss and while this isn't my favorite of his books it's wonderful anyway.

Well, I exhausted my holiday books quickly.  I know there are others but they aren't ones I read as a matter of tradition and so they stay off the list.  So onto movies.

3. A Muppet Christmas CarolLike I just said, there are thousands of versions of A Christmas Carol out there but this one is the one I regularly watch.  Why?  Because it is almost exactly Dickens version of the story and quotes it directly over and over again.  Plus I love muppets.
4. Babes in Toyland.  For those that aren't familiar with this one, it's a Laurel and Hardy movie that was always on TV around the holidays.  I got excited the other day when I saw it'll be airing on Thanksgiving.  I should remember to set up the DVR for that, since I don't think I'll be able to talk others into watching it.
5. How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I don't really branch out much with my movies but I love Seuss and this one has singing by Tony the Tiger!  What's not to love?

OK, so that's actually the end of my regular books and movies.  I guess we don't have a lot of regular traditions.  For Thanksgiving we usually watch a movie but it depends on what's on TV.  There's usually a Bond marathon going on so we'll catch part of that.  Last year we all watched Die Hard and I wouldn't mind if that ended up a tradition.  After I told my dad about my Halloween he asked me to bring Rocky Horror with me this year so maybe that will end up a regular thing because nothing says family gatherings and giving thanks like a group of singing alien transvestites. 

What are your favorite holiday books, movies, TV shows, whatever?

Update! While I looked through other people's lists I remembered on more movie/TV show I love around the holidays.  The Rankin and Bass TV movie The Year Without Santa ClausI love the Heat Miser and Snow Miser songs. I like the other Rankin and Bass movies but this is my favorite, followed in close second by the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer movie because of the Island of the Misfit Toys and the Abominable Snowman.