Monday, June 23, 2014

Wedding table names: The final(ish) decision

We're getting closer to the wedding, like under 30 days closer, which seems to mean that my wedding posts are no longer happening on Sundays. Probably because weekends are now spent doing shit FOR this upcoming party and thus don't have time to write about it in time for a Sunday post. Instead I figure I'll just post wedding stuff whenever I think of it/it comes up, considering soon enough we will hit the last wedding post.

Anyway, we haven't quite gotten RSVPs from everyone yet but we've heard from most people so we put together the seating chart, which luckily didn't turn out to be too difficult. It worked out that for the most part every guest-category broke out into groups of between 9-12, which is how many people we can have at each table. The tables are going to be on the slightly more crowded side, but we figured people would rather be scrunched up with people they know versus lots of elbow room with a bunch of strangers.

Before I tell you what we finally landed on for the literary couples, I want to share with you a conversation I had with a friend the other day regarding the tables. Boyfriend+ and I met up with a couple friends and we were talking about the tables. We started trying to figure out if there were enough couples in the Harry Potter universe to cover each of the tables.

Me: Well there's Hermione and Ron...
Friend 1: Don't you mean Harry and Hermione?
Me: NEVER! HERMIONE & RON 4EVA, dammit
Friend 2: There's always Harry and Ginny but...eh
Me: Lupin and Tonks
Friend 1: Dobby and a knife.
::gasps from the table. Except Boyfriend+ who knows of the HP series::
Friend 1:...I do not care for Dobby.

So it's probably a good thing I decided I only wanted one couple per book/series. Here's the final list of literary couples + a quote from their book:

Calvin & Hobbes  from Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Happiness isn't good enough for me. I demand euphoria!

Sherlock Holmes & Irene Adler from A Scandal in Bohemia by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex

Westley & Buttercup from The Princess Bride by William Goldman
As you wish

Thursday Next & Landen Parke-Laine from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde
The vicar shrugged. This was fast becoming the most ludicrous wedding of his career.

Lizzie Bennet & Mr. Darcy from Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.

Eleanor & Park from Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.

Jonathan & Arabella from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
Sometimes it seemed as if she had fallen in love with him for the sole purpose of quarreling with him.

Hermione & Ron from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
'Hermione, you are honestly the most wonderful person I've ever met,' said Ron weakly, 'and if I'm ever rude to you again -' 
'- I'll know you're back to normal,' said Hermione. 

Odysseus & Penelope from The Odyssey by Homer
Stranger, my beauty went forfeit to the Gods the day my Husband sailed with the Argives, for Troy. Should he return, to cherish me, my fortune and favor would improve.

Beatrice & Benedick from Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare
For which of my bad parts didst thou first fall in love with me?

If you have any suggestions for the quotes, I'm all ears.