Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Reading Goals for 2013

I usually stay away from making goals for the year. Or any type of resolution. Because, you know
But this week's Tuesday Top Ten (hosted by The Broke and The Bookish) asked what your reading goals are for the new year and I figured I'd try to come up with some.* So in no particular order, some reading goals

1. Read more ladies - I don't think making sure I read a diverse collection of authors is the MOST important thing because the story itself is the most important thing. That said, I need to read less guys. Not that male authors are BAD but perhaps get a different point of view every once in awhile.

2. Read more non-white people - Ditto for some racial diversity in my authors.

3. Read more non-US authors - Also some authors from somewhere other than my home country. And yes, I COULD have just said read less white guys from America but that would have been 1 goal instead of 3.

4. Go to more author signings - I don't have any in mind or have any idea when authors I heart have books coming out and thus will be doing a book tour, but the 2 I went to last year were so fun I WANT MORE. Goal 4b is be less awkward at said book signing. I didn't make this a separate goal because I'm pretty sure it has no chance of happening. But I thought I should mention it.

5. Get my review of The Parable of the Sower just written already - It's been awhile now. And it's not that I don't WANT to review it. I'm just lazy with reviews.

6. Finish the Harry Potter readalong - I'm confident I'm going to accomplish this goal, but I want something on this list I know I'll be able to check off. Man, I really hope I didn't just jinx myself.

7. Do a better job answering review requests - I'm not trying to make this a humble brag cos I really don't get that many review requests. Which really just makes it all the worse that I have a tendency to just not answer most of the requests I get. Which is rude and I need to answer people, even if it's just to say "thanks but no thanks".

8. Read The Corrections - This has sorta been a goal for years now. Which is stupid. This book needs to stop mocking me. I CAN DEFEAT YOU, FRANZEN.

9. Listen to more audiobooks - preferably while running (or at least walking) since that was something I was PLANNING on doing when I got all of the HP audiobooks

10. Do a better job reading the newspaper - I know this isn't quite the "reading goal" TB&TB people were asking about (I assume, anyway) but we get the NYT delivered each weekend and I pretty much read: the magazine (especially Chuck Klosterman as The Ethicist column), the Real Estate section, and the Book Reviews. I only randomly pick up the other sections, and I should really make an effort to have an idea of what's going on in the world. I cannot get all of my current event knowledge from Twitter.

So, what are your reading goals for the year?

*Did you also figure out which goal is a the reason I decided to write this post instead of working on another one? Yeah. I'm starting off my goals by putting them off. Good job, me