Sunday, February 5, 2017

What Red Did This Week

I've tried to do these type of "what'd I do this week" weekly wrap up type posts (like Sarah always does and they're swell) but it takes a lot of effort to get 2 normal things posted during the week so thus far this weekly post deal hasn't happened yet. But now I have something I want to accomplish. And that is being held accountable for calling my reps because everything is terrifying and as much as I hate making calls, I hate the direction things seem to be going and I can't look myself in the eye if I don't do something. That and when I do make these calls, I want credit because I am pathetic and need adulation and approval.

So how'd I do this week?
Citizening
Thanks in large part to Sarah, mentioned above, and my friend who actually works in politics, I have gotten some excellent advice and pointed to some great resources and so I called my rep and both senators because the whole nonsense Muslim ban and the Gorsuch nomination and H.R. 7 and H.R. 490 (both measures to make it near impossible to get abortions). SURE, I didn't get through to anyone on the first try, but I left messages and sent follow up emails and signed up for everyone's newsletters to stay on the front line for what they're doing. I also set up a spreadsheet (cos I am stupid nerdy and lurve me a spreadsheet) so I can keep track of what I have done and what I want to do.

I've also started donating since the election, each month to a different charity. So far I've given to the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, and the Human Rights Campaign and am in the process of deciding what charity to give to in February, so if you have good recommendations, please send them my way.

Reading
Making my way through Hidden Figures as part of book club and listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire audiobook. I'm also currently watching Goblet of Fire because it's a weekend so naturally Freeform is running an HP marathon.

Podcasting
When I haven't been listening to HP I've been doing podcasts. This week it's been My Favorite Murder. I need to stop subscribing to podcasts so the newest episodes download, since I instead have a habit of listening to ALL the back episodes

Watching
The League which I am enjoying despite some problems I may have with it (like, you know, the female representation). By the way, I am TERRIBLE at watching shows when they first come out. Not for any good reason. I guess stubbornness? Like, don't tell me what to do, even if that thing is watching something awesome.

So, let's see if I can keep this up. (Weekly writing more than citizening. I better be able to manage the citizening.)