Wednesday, February 1, 2017

January Reading Wrap Up

First month of 2017 down. Just 11 more to go and then 36 after that. No, I'm kidding. Not about how time works, but about doing a countdown. I mean, it can't just be a countdown. Countdown plus action. I've joined a couple groups that will hopefully help with the action part as I feel like I need a lot of direction there so I'm not just flailing.

But anyway, this is about reading, so let's talk about reading. I finish so many books in January. And this is 100% because of audiobooks, which I didn't do AT ALL last year. I did a lot of podcasts last year, which obviously don't get counted here. But I finished all the back episodes of How Did This Get Made and I've made it a good way through Stuff Mom Never Told You when I got a copy of Trevor Noah's Born a Crime. Then I made a trip down to D.C. with my mom (not for the March, unfortunately. I went to a local sister March in my area the following weekend) and we listened to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone because HP is GREAT for road trips. And then once I started HP it seemed silly to not keep going, so I've been making my way through the series while cooking and cleaning and working.

Enough talking, let's see those stats.

Total books read
8
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
It's Up to the Women by Eleanor Roosevelt
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
John Dies at the End by David Wong

Total pages read
2,652

Fiction
63%

Female authors
75%
White authors
88%

US authors
38%

Book formats
audiobook: 50%
ebook: 50%

Where'd I get the book:
Gift: 38%
Kindle/Audible: 50%
Netgalley: 13%

Rereads
38%

Bookclub/readalong
13%

Translation
0%

Review book
13%

Books by decade
1900s: 13%
1930s: 13%
1990s: 38%
2000s: 13%
2010s: 25%

Books by genre
Childrens: 13%
Essays: 13%
Horror: 13%
Memoir: 25%
YA Fantasy: 38%

Resolution books
75%
New year, so a reminder for what counts as a resolution book
By POC author
By non-US author
Translation
Published before 2000

My success this month has a lot to do with Rowling, being from the UK and all. Plus the first three books were published (just) before 2000. Outside of the 3 HP books
Anne of Green Gables was both published pre-2000 and the author is Canadian
Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood is by a non-POC and non-US author (South Africa, you know, if the title wasn't clear)
It's Up to the Women was published pre-2000

Not to shabby. Let's see what next month brings.