Tuesday, January 21, 2014

New fangled reading

I think I need to start recording the random things I overhear when I'm on the train. Or I guess random things I overhear anywhere, but the train is where the crazy really shines.

If you follow me on Twitter you probably see me tweeting snippets of conversations happening around me. At least when the conversation makes me go "WTF is going on." I was on NJ Transit (lest you think all the crazy happens on the subway or LIRR) when the person behind me started a phone call that included a conspiracy between Hollywood and Wall St to control what museum galleries are allowed to show and that terrorist are going to try to take down the new WTC building because it's ugly. (Terrorists HATE ugly things. All about beauty, those guys.) One of the things she said that I felt needed to be shared was this:


Unfortunately she didn't elaborate on what these "new fangled reading styles" are. Not exactly. She started ranting about text message language and how if you're going to go on the internet you need to learn a whole new language. She just didn't address how this new language changed the whole "read a page, turn page, read next page" thing. I imagine she thinks people are now learning to read a sentence, skip ahead 30 pages, read a third of a paragraph, back to that first page to read only the LAST sentence, etc. You know, those new fangled styles. 

This clearly isn't a real post. This is more a "I really want to write some post but I'm not done with Different Seasons yet and I don't like the Tuesday Top Ten prompt so I'll just ramble about something else." This also gives you the opportunity to see what you're missing if you don't follow me on Twitter.

I also started a Tumblr because I give into peer pressure, even if it's really weak peer pressure. And really more pressure that people are having fun somewhere without me and I don't want to be left out. I wouldn't recommend following me on Tumblr because at the moment all I'm doing is reblogging random gif sets about Sherlock, Parks & Rec, and Pushing Daisies. Eventually I might figure out what I'm doing over there. Maybe.