Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Top Books I'd Like to See Made Into Movies

It's Tuesday again so again we have a Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the ladies over a The Broke and the Bookish. This week's question is what are the top 10 books I'd like to see made into movies. 

1. A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore - Chris Columbus, he of movies and not of misguided spice trade navigation, actually owns the movie rights to this so I have a small glimmer of hope that this will get made into a movie. A Beta Male becomes a death (not the Death) and tries to navigate his new condition while raising his daughter and running his second-hand shop which comes complete with characters like Abby Normal.

2. Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde - I don't think my favorite series, Thursday Next, will transfer well from page to screen. There are too many jokes and plot points that require you to be a reader and not a viewer. Shades of Grey however, would be fantastic to see since the whole society is based on the fact that people can only see a single color and other than that everything is just various shades of grey. I'd love to see the world through Eddie Russett's eyes.


3. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - Another one that's been in the talks to get made into a movie, so another small possibility of actually seeing this on the big screen. I'd love to see how the Battle School is rendered but I still think they need to age Ender and the other kids up or else I'll never be able to take the movie seriously.


4. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark - Look how much people like British wizards in the Harry Potter world. Now it's historical fiction mixed with fantasy. They would need to cut the story down to get it to fit, or else split it over two movies, but I'd see it. I imagine there would be some beautiful settings.


5. World War Z by Max Brooks - Well look at this, another one that's in the talks to get made into a movie. Now I understand there is a vast difference between rumors of a movie and something actually getting made but I'm getting my hopes up for this one. I'm not exactly sure how they'll weave a narrative out of the collection of "survivors stories" but I'm looking forward to it. Even if it means lot of zombie nightmares.


6. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahme-Smith - Oh hey, more zombies! And it's another one that is supposedly in the talks of being made. There are plenty of versions of P&P but I think the world can accept one where Lizzie and Darcy are both champion zombie killers.


7. Fool by Christopher Moore - I'd love to see this as a movie. King Lear, told from the Fool's point of view, with a typical Moore twist. It's a hilarious, sometimes dark retelling of Shakespeare's play and has the Fool as the driving force behind everything that happens, along with a back-story and name, Pocket, for the courtly jester.

I was really thinking I could make it to 10 this week but alas, it appears not to be. What are some books you hope get make it to the silver screen?