Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Top Books I Want for Xmas

Another Tuesday, another top 10 list hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  Sticking with the holiday season, this week's question is what are the top 10 books I want for Christmas.

I don't usually ask for books for Christmas.  I might ask for a gift card to buy my own books but I do a lot of my book purchasing based on whatever I feel like at the moment, so I can never really give people a list of things I want. I prefer this method to having people buy me books.  Except my Dad.  He gets a pass because he seems to know what books I'll like before I consider them.

I started this thinking I might actually be able to think up 10 books I want but I'm drawing a blank so we'll see how far I make it.

  1. Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde.  I love Fforde's series and I can't wait for a new world of his creation.  The Next series and the Nursery Crime series are both wonderful.  Actually, I want Santa or whomever to wait to give me this until it's in paperback.  That's the reason I haven't picked it up for myself just yet.  Maybe it could be a signed copy.  That's be pretty sweet.
  2. At Home by Bill Bryson. I've been waiting for this one to come out in paperback as well.  I love Bryson and look forward to reading whatever he happens to write.  
  3. Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson. While on the topic of Bryson, I used to have this book and during one of my many moves it got lost or lent out to someone or something that just removed it from my possession.  I'd like it back or a new copy.
  4. Anything by Christopher Moore I don't already have.  That's an extensive list.  Maybe I should start with Bloodsucking Fiends, seeing as I've read You Suck: A Love Story already, not realizing it was a sequel.  Actually I don't know where my copy of You Suck went, so I'd like that as well.
  5. Some more Vonnegut.  It's been awhile since I've read his work and I should probably pick up some more of his stuff.  Any suggestions*?
  6. Kindle. I know this isn't a book but I still want it.  And I actually know I'm getting it, much to the chagrin of my mom who wishes it was a secret.  But I kept going back and forth between the Kindle and the Color Nook so she eventually told me she got it.  Whoops.  I annoyed her into telling me.  It's like I haven't aged at all.
I am such a failure at these top 10 lists.  I'd just rather write out the things I think fit the topic rather than pad it out with other stuff.  What's on your want list?

*I've read Slaughterhouse-Five; Breakfast of Champions; God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater; Galapagos; Sirens of Titan.  I feel like I'm missing one but since I can't think of it I guess it'd be fine if I read it again. 
Update: Paolo remembered the missing book, because he knows my bookshelf better than I do apparently. I've also read Cat's Cradle.