Friday, January 3, 2020

2019 Wrap Up!

It's the end of another year!
and you know if there's one I thing I love, it's tracking reading progress through the year.

I figured I haven't been doing my quarterly infographics but I can manage an end of year one. EXCEPT I was not paying attention and Piktochart has changed their terms so now if I want to make more infographics, I gotta pay. And if I was still making these infographics like I used to, I'd consider it. Except I'm not making them so often, so I'm not gonna pay. Perhaps in the future.

Instead, here's a simpler year end wrap up

Number of books read
58 - most books read since I started tracking!
Number of pages read
15,245 - though it's about middle-of-the-road in terms of number of pages

Month with the most/least books read
February (7) / July & November (3 each)

Month with the most/least pages read
September (1,680) / May (864)

Fiction
48%

POC author
19%
Asian: 10%
Black: 7%
Latino: 2%

Female authors
59%
Author countries
US: 64%
UK: 29%
Canada: 3%
India: 2%
Spain: 2%

Translation
2%

Rereads
17%

Book format
audiobook: 78%
ebook: 12%
paperback: 9%
hardback: 2%

Where'd I get the book
Kindle/Audible: 50%
Library: 38%
Indie: 5%
Chain bookstore: 3%
Gift: 3%

Decade published
2010s: 83%
2000s: 7%
1990s: 3%
1970s: 2%
1940s: 2%
1930s: 3%

Top Genres
Mystery: 15%
Parenting: 13%
Horror: 9%
Sociology: 9%
Humor: 7%
Lit Fic: 7%
Memoir: 7%

Resolution books
50%
Top month: July 100% resolution books
Bottom month: January 25% resolution books

Fav reads
According to my Goodreads tracking (which is missing some books but ::shrug::) about half of the books I gave 5 stars to this year were re-reads. Which I suppose makes sense because if I'm going to re-read something, it's probably something I loved. But I guess doesn't say great things about what I read this year. Except most things I gave 4 stars to cos they were fine. Better than fine, very good, even. Just not something I loved.

5 Star Rereads
The Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan
Texts from Jane Eyre by Daniel Ortberg
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Shakespeare: The World as Stage by Bill Bryson
The Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way by Bill Bryson

New 5 Star Reads
Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos by Lucy Knisley
Evil Eye by Madhuri Shekar
Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language by Gretchen McCulloch
Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool by Emily Oster