The Broke and the Bookish so I'll try to come up with a list of literary names I'd give kids and not animals.
1. Thursday; Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde - Obviously I don't have a good grasp of what type of name won't get a child picked on. Or as I said I'm not good with kids and don't actually care that much cos I really like this name. And is it honestly stranger than being named after a season? (I also like the names Autumn and Summer.)
2. Jasper - Hey, while we're on this topic, I kinda like this name too.Oh man, if I have kids they are getting screwed in the name department. I'll try to come up with some good nicknames.
3. Zooey; Franny and Zooey by Salinger - I know in the stories Zooey is a boy but I like it for a girl's name.
4. Harper - I am totally stealing this from Christina at The Blue Bookcase but I like this as a first name.
5. Portia; The Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare - I love Shakespeare so I have a feeling a few more of his characters will sneak onto the list. Portia may have been a hypocrite (see "Quality of mercy" speech directly before making Shylock convert) but she's at least a strong, intelligent female character.
6. Cordelia; King Lear by Shakespeare - Oh here's another name. This is more because I like the sound of the name and less for the character.
OK that's actually as many as I can come up with without forcing it. What literary names would you give your kids?