Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Black History Month challenge I'm going to (sort of) try

I've said in the past that I don't do reading challenges. I'm far too indecisive to commit to reading on any sort of schedule. And putting myself on a schedule or giving myself a reading list suddenly makes my hobby feel like work, at which point I'll just quit reading. I can be a little kid like that.  To demonstrate exactly how indecisive I am, I can't even stick to my "I won't participate in any challenges" statement. It's like as soon as I claim I'll do one thing I need to do the opposite. It's annoying, I know.

So I kind of signed up for a challenge. And by "signed up" I mean I commented on Tony's blog Keeping Up With Mr. Jones saying I might, maybe, read 1 book for the Black History Month challenge he's set up for himself. That is literally all of the commitment I am giving. It's pathetic and you are more than welcome to make fun of me for it. But I am trying.

Here's my plan: the challenge set up is to read at least one African-American centric book in the month of February. Tony is going to try to do it for the entire month. Not only is that too much of a schedule for me, the majority of my books are in Long Island, so I'm making due with a limited book shelf and I don't want to buy a bunch of books for a challenge. It's sad that I have so few African-American centric books with me but at least I have one: Sula by Toni Morrison. I have read it before for a Toni Morrison class but all I can remember is I liked it more than some of her others. Hopefully I'm remembering this correctly.

If this sounds like something you're into, drop a line for Tony. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that I can actually complete this challenge. And who knows, if this goes well perhaps I'll try some others.