Wednesday, January 3, 2024

2023 Year End Stats

I may not get many real blog posts done, but you can always count on me for some stats posts. (Somehow this will end up being my last stats post because I've said this. Oh the universe, how it likes its jokes.)

2023 was a busy year for me. We moved the end of 2022 after deciding we needed more space, particularly outdoor space, than our townhouse offered. We figured we'd rent a place for a year (not even a year) and then buy something else. HAHAHA said the housing market. We weren't able to stay in our other rental for another year and with the little one starting kindy, we didn't want a move to mean he'd have to change schools mid-year. So instead we moved over the summer to another rental, right down the street from our old townhouse. We're still in boxes and we're going into another year with most of my books packed away. Books, how I miss you.

I also had lots of work stuff happen, some of which I alluded to even in the last year end wrap up. But basically the business I work on was being sold off which meant once the sale happened I wouldn't have a job. There were a lot of questions of what to do, what's the next move, a lot of very difficult decisions but I started a new job in November and so far all is going well there. It's nice to not have this unknown sitting over me as it had been for the past year and a half but it's been a lot.

And then there's the reading. 2023 started out really strong. Will 2024 be the same? Who knows! I certainly don't!

I still don't have a fancy infographic for the stats. I could make some graphs but honestly, it would be a lot of work and things wouldn't format the way I wanted them to (like they would in a fancy infographic) in here and I'm already getting tired thinking of doing that. So it'll be a list. But I will do some comparisons to my historic averages (2013-2022). And BTW I've now officially tracked my reading for 10 years and that is making me feel old. I mean, that and a bouncer looking at my friends and I and waving off any need to see ID. 

Total books read
61
This is the most I've read in the last 10 years. I dunno why. Can I do it again? 
Also Goodreads says it's only 60 and I dunno what book is missing and I don't feel like cross checking. I will say I trust my sheet better mostly cos I'm better at keeping up with that.
Historic average: 52.8
Year with the most books: 2023 (I just said that) / Year with the fewest books: 2016 & 2018 (48 books)

Total pages read
19,144
This may have been the most books, but 2013 still wins for the most pages. (Thanks Under the Dome, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and A Clash of Kings.)
Historic average: 17,620
Year with the most pages: 2013 (21,681) / Year with the fewest pages: 2018 (13,525)

Month with the most / fewest books read
March (8 books) /July (3 books)
Historic average: every month averages either 4 or 5 books EXCEPT for July which now averages 3. I dunno what it is about the summer. but apparently it's vacation time from everything, including reading

Month with most / fewest pages read
March (2,435) / July (889)
Historic average: September (1,692) / May (1,279)

Fiction
69%
Historic average: 59.8%

BIPOC authors
23%
Historic average: 18.2%

Female authors
61%
Historic average: 57.5%

Author's nationality
US: 61% (Historic average: 68.2%)
UK: 25% (Historic average: 19.9%)
Australia: 5% (Historic average: 1.7%)
Ireland: 3% (Historic average: 0.4%)
Singapore: 3% (Historic average: 1.5%)
China: 2% (Historic average: new country - apparently it's been over 10 years since I last read a book by a Chinese author)
Japan: 2% (Historic average: 1.5%)

Translation
0%
Historic average: 4%

Rereads
16%
Historic average: 19% 

Book format
audiobook: 85% (Historic average: 40.4%)
ebook: 10% (Historic average: 29.4%)
paperback: 3% (Historic average: 26.2%)
hardback: 2% (Historic average: 4.2%)

Where'd I get the book
Library: 69% (Historic average: 24.6%)
Kindle/Audible: 18% (Historic average: 36.0%)
Gift: 11% (Historic average: 8.7%)
Indie: 2% (Historic average: 17.2%)

Decade published
1890s: 2% (Historic average: new decade!)
2000s: 5% (Historic average: 16.1%)
2010s: 34% (Historic average: 58.1%)
2020s: 59% (Historic average: 10.2%)

Top Genres
Mystery: 25% (Historic average: 10.2%)
Literary Fiction: 16% (Historic average: 9.8%)
History: 11% (Historic average: 4.4%)
Rom com: 8% (Historic average: 3.8%)
Memoir: 7% (Historic average: 6.8%)

Resolution books
54%
Historic average: 48%