Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Reader Harder List: 2018 Reading Challenge

Last year, Etudesque posted a book challenge list from PopSugar that I meant to update throughout the year and then managed to update all of twice. Whoops.
This year she's posted a list courtesy of Book Riot called Read Harder that I will attempt to remember this year. Or I'll do what I did before and forget about it until the last week in December.
  1. A book published posthumously
  2. A book of true crime
  3. A classic of genre fiction (i.e., mystery, sci fi/fantasy, romance)
    • And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. It was a reread but STILL COUNTS
  1. A comic written and illustrated by the same person
  2. A book set in or about one of the five BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa)
  3. A book about nature
  4. A western
  5. A comic written or illustrated by a person of color
  6. A book of colonial or postcolonial literature
  7. A romance novel by or about a person of color
  8. A children's classic published before 1980
  9. A celebrity memoir
  10. An Oprah Book Club selection
  11. A book of social science
  12. A one-sitting book
  13. A first book in a new-to-you YA or middle grade series
  14. A sci-fi novel with a female protagonist by a female author
  15. A comic that isn't published by Marvel, DC or Image
  16. A book of genre fiction in translation
  17. A book with a cover you hate
  18. A mystery by a person of color or LGBTQ+ author
  19. An essay anthology
  20. A book with a female protagonist over the age of 60
  21. An assigned book you hated (or never finished)
OK so, when I saw how short the list was I was thinking "Yeah, I got this." And then as I looked at it closer I realized "Shit, yeah, this IS gonna be hard." Hence the name, I suppose. 
Well, one down at least. Let's see how the rest of the year goes

I swear, I'll get around to writing another real review soon. Scout's honor and all that.