Friday, May 26, 2017

The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl: Being an introvert in a world that glorifies cool isn't easy

I am so behind on reviews. I finished this book back in February. February 24th to be exact, at least according to Goodreads*. I think if I point out how behind I am it will shame me into catching up. Instead it seems to make me go "Eh, I told people. That's good enough" and then let things slide further back. We'll see if I'm able to get things reviewed at least within a month of reading them.
With confession time out the way, let's get to the book shall we?

I was at the Strand, but shopping not for myself! I was looking for a book for Tom's birthday, so I had good and noble intentions. Except they didn't carry the book he wanted (something about marketing and sports championships) so what am I going to do, NOT get any books? That's ridiculous. So I picked up a couple books, including The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl by Issa Rae.
I apparently cannot get enough of awesome comedy ladies writing hilarious collections of essays. So this book had been on my radar for a while. But like, on the periphery. Over in the corner, waiting for me to get it together and pick it up. And I did and it was awesome.

Rae looks at her own awkward life, such as her attempt to give herself a nickname (Sloppy Jo) in grade school, her inability to dance and her lack of fashion sense. She talks about spending summers in Senegal with her family and about moving cross country to LA and really wanting to be one of the "cool" kids. She has a few chapters for her ABG (Awkward Black Girl) Guide titled things like "Connecting with Other Blacks," "The Hair Advantage," and "When Co-workers Attack". She talks about the importance of representation and family difficulties. There is a SPECTRUM of topics, is what I'm saying. And through all of them, there is a tone and wit and a lot of self-deprecating humor.
If I could go back in time and slap all of the idiocy out of my mouth, I would be a busy time traveler.
Same, Issa Rae. Same.

The book was lots of fun and short (just over 200 pages) so a quick read if you're looking for something light and funny.

Gif rating:
*Which, hey, PS, why does Goodreads now email you when you mark a book as completed to tell you that you finished reading a book? I am aware, Goodreads. I told you. And then you're just linking me back to stuff on your site, where I just came from, to tell you I finished reading it.

Rae, Issa. The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl. 37 Ink/Atria, 2016.