Monday, February 5, 2018

January Reading Wrap Up

I'm so behind on posting this. I don't have an excuse. It's not even like a review which take some time and effort and thought to put together. These roundups are wonderful because 1) I heart stats and 2) they are easy. And yet I still failed to put it up last week DESPITE having plenty of time. I have excuses. I won't go into them here but damn good excuses. Just trust me. (They are also excuses why things have been slow posting here. And reading all of your lovely posts and def leaving comments even when I do read. I hope that improves but I am holding back on making promises.)

ANYWAY. January. That was a thing that happened. Some things continue to be terrible*, some things are pretty great, there's a lot that just is. Reading was pretty good. I think this might be a year of re-reads. Not that it will ALL be re-reads. Besides, I just got a bunch of Netgalleys I am quite excited about. And while there are a ton of new books I absolutely want to read, in the spirit of "Hey, these are things I love" I want to go back to those. This isn't necessarily to go back and challenge old favorites, though that might happen. This is more "These were things that brought me joy. I like joy. Let's get some of that."

Now to the stats

Number of books read
5
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Where the Line Bleeds by Jesmyn Ward
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
The Girls by Emma Cline
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard

Total pages read
1,355

Fiction
100%
I thought to myself, "Wow, it's been a while since I read all fiction. I wonder how long." And then I remember, you know, I keep those stats and can just look. It was April of last year.

POC authors
20%

Female authors
80%
US authors
60%

Book formats
ebook: 60%
paperback: 40%

Where'd I get the book
borrow: 20%
indie: 20%
Kindle/Audio: 40%
Netgalley: 20%

Readalong/bookclub
20%

Rereads
60%
Review books
20%

Books by decade
1930s: 20%
1960s: 20%
2000s: 20%
2010s: 40%

Resolution
60%
Resolution continues to be read more POC, more people from outside the US, more translations, books published before 2000.
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie - published before 2000, author from UK
Where The Line Bleeds by Jesmyn Ward - POC author
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard - published before 2000, author from UK

*Please, those of you in the US, keep reaching out to your representatives. Don't get tired, don't get discouraged, don't let up.