Monday, February 17, 2014

The Great (Marginalia) Game

About a month ago my friend messaged me on Twitter with a link to a story and the message that we had to do this. The story is from The Millions and called "Dumbest Thing Ever": Scribbling in the Margins of Dan Brown's Inferno. If you didn't click on the link to read the story (and you really should) it's basically about one guy who read Dan Brown's Inferno and wrote a bunch of notes in the margins. He then lent the book to a friend, who added his own (hilarious) notes. So OF COURSE I am in.
Another friend of ours decided to join in and thus we're doing our own version of this Margin Scribbling. We won't be reading Dan Brown* and we'll be doing a slightly different breakdown. The three of us live in different states so we can't just do a book club type deal. And I'm the only one cool enough (ahahahahaha) to have a book blog, so we can't do our gif-filled style readalong. Hence this, which I have titled The Great (Marginalia) Game because, again, see how cool I am (ahahahahaha) and also I'm a Sherlock nerd so of course I needed to shove a reference in there, even if it makes no sense whatsoever.
While we're at it let's throw this in as well
We'll be reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter which I've admittedly already read but that's cool because it's entertaining and I think will be good for this game. I picked up a copy on sale so I get to start. I'll read and mark up the first chapter and then mail it to my friend, who will then read and add his own notes to chapters one and two, before sending it to our other friend. He'll then read and write in the first three chapters, send it back to me, and repeat until we're out of book.

I assume this is going to take the better part of a year to finish, especially considering how long it takes me to get to the post office (even though the post office is RIGHT THERE and I really have no excuse). But I AM EXCITED FOR THIS.
Enough to get over how much I do not like writing in books. I will be writing in pencil though because baby steps.

So expect random posts about this, which I'm sure will be ridiculous.

*At least not for the first book, although if things go well I'm all for trying this with Inferno.