Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Newest acquisitions

I'm planning another entry or 2 on stories from Everything's Eventual.  By planning on I mean I haven't come up with them just yet.  I just finished the stories "Everything's Eventual" and "L.T.'s Theory of Pets" and I'm more than half way through "The Road Virus Heads North".  I'm surprised the book is taking me as long as it is, considering it's not much longer than the other books I've recently read and I've read it before.  You'd think this would go faster.  I had planned on writing an entry today, but I ended up going out for dinner, frozen yogurt and books instead.

I'm excited about my new books.  New books always excite me.  I like re-reading old favorites too, but any of these books could be a new favorite.  There's so much potential. 

Anyway, I picked up I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell  by Susanna Clarke.  I skimmed a couple of the essays by Crosley and there's a good chance I'll read this before I actually finish Everything's Eventual.  The little bit I read cracked me up.  I've had a few friends with trusted book tastes read and recommend Strange & Norrell and it was on sale so I decided to pick it up.

I also want to make mention of the awesome local bookstore we have in town, The Brookline Booksmith.  I do shop at the big boxes like Borders and Barnes & Nobel but I try to support the local places and the Booksmith is fantastic.  Great new selection, lots of used books, and fun events like Christopher Moore showing up. It's the type of place I would like to run.  Now if only they would get some of Jasper Fforde's stuff in.  Especially Shades of Grey once it comes out in paperback!